Kauno Architektūros Festivalis
The Faculty of civil engineering and architecture of KTU, Studentų g. 56, Kaunas
Curators for students’ creative workshop: Kei Kaiho, Martynas Marozas
WORKSHOP IN BRIEF
TWENTY PARTICIPANTS: 10 LITHUANIAN ARCHITECTURE
STUDENTS + 10 JAPANESE ARCHITECTURE
LECTURERS: GABRIELĖ UBAREVIČIŪTĖ & GIEDRIUS MAMAVIČIUS, GINTARĖ KAPOČIŪTĖ, YASUTAKA YOSHIMURA, KEI KAIHOH, MARTYNAS MAROZAS, OSAMU NISHIDA, SHINICHI KAWAKATSU, TSUYOSHI TANE AND OTHER ARCHITECTS VISITING KAUNAS
THE WORKSHOP FOCUSES ON FOUR MAIN THEMES*
1. Global Perspectives for the Future: the global economy, the movement of people and goods and global climate change require thinking on a global scale that goes beyond the architectural and urban scale.
2. Ecosystemic Thinking: the future of cities and architecture should not only be for people, but also for animals, microorganisms, bacteria and coexistence with the Earth itself.
3. New Ecological Approaches: the active and emergent nature of play makes it an attractive approach to recovering the lost network of various environmental elements and non-human organisms of the Earth.
4. Bridging contexts and scales: from Japan to Lithuania, which are located on the same planet but have different histories and cultures, we will explore the nature of architecture and ways to bridge the physical and global scales.
We will play with the Earth, we will design new approaches and answer some difficult questions. We will have a common playground – an unfinished “Britannica” hotel building in Kaunas (Lithuania) which naturally proposes five different design approaches to be tested by five mixed Lithuanian-Japanese design teams
1. Play with the Ecosystems: Britannica hotel as an object to strengthen the ecosystems of Kaunas;
2. Play with the People: Britannica hotel a space for new social initiatives and new relationships;
3. Play with the Economy: Britannica hotel as a place for new urban economy and modes of production;
4. Play with the Culture: Britannica hotel as a hub for new Cultural innovation;
5. Play with the Energy: Britannica hotel as an energy experiment.
PROGRAM OF THE WORKSHOP
DAY 1 OF THE WORKSHOP – September 24, 2022
DAY 2 OF THE WORKSHOP – September 25, 2022
DAY 3 OF THE WORKSHOP / PUBLIC PRESENTATION OF WORKSHOP RESULTS (at the library of the Faculty of civil engineering and architecture of KTU– Studentų g. 56, Kaunas) – September 26, 2022
14:30 – 15:00 Lecture by architect Mr. Tsuyoshi Tane (Japan)
15:00 – 15:30 Lecture by architect Ms. Eri Tsugawa (Japan)
15:30 – 16:00 Lecture by architect Mr. Shinichi Kawakatsu (Japan)
16:00 – 19:30 Public presentation of workshop results